LIBERAL SAYS PHOENIX REFORM ‘MAKES A LOT OF SENSE TO ME’
“Something so simple. It makes a lot of sense to me.”
~ Liberal MP Nicole Flint, responding to an expert’s call for a Director Identification Number.
As experts have noted, a Director Identification Number will help detect, deter and disrupt illegal phoenix activity by dodgy directors. Labor announced this measure in May, as part of our package to crack down on phoenixing.
Supporters of a Director Identification Number now include:
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman
- Productivity Commission
- Tax Justice Network
- Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Master Builders Australia
- Australian Council of Trade Unions
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association
- Phoenix Project, comprising experts from Melbourne University Law School and Monash University Business School
- Nicole Flint MP
Alas, one body has failed to support a Director Identification Number:
- The Turnbull Government (with the honourable exception of Nicole Flint MP).
TUESDAY, 18 JULY 2017